This hearty starter delivers big flavor on all fronts: Once you eat the tender clams and beacons
- 10 strips bacon (preferably thick-cut)
- 4 pounds clams, scrubbed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bottle beer
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp.
- Remove bacon from skillet and place on paper towels to drain.
- Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat and place skillet back on medium low heat.
- Add chopped onion.
- Cook until onions are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Roughly chop bacon.
- Add clams to pan with onions, sprinkle with reserved bacon and pour over bottle of beer.
- Cover and cook until clams open, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with a large green salad, and a big loaf of crusty bread. (And more beer.)